Monday 7 January 2008

Shock and Awe

I know this is a blog for my kitty, but today I'm writing about a guild run I went on yesterday with my priest. Don't like that? Tough it's my blog 8-)

Now, I haven't had a stable internet connection for the past couple of months so my raiding activity has been very low. In the meantime, the guild has got Kara to farm status but, as always, there are still those drops that... well don't. So, as well as a "casual" run to Karazhan they also do a weekly "speed run". There are no formal rules about who can go on which run but, if you want to go on a speed run, you're expected to know the bosses and keep up the pace.

The reason for the title of this blog is that I went on my first real speed run yesterday afternoon. Three and half hours later we've killed every boss except Maiden and Attumen and I have 19 badges in my bags from 9 boss kills. A quick bit of math and that's clear the trash and kill a boss every 23 minutes; it's actually a little faster than that if you allow for wipes and mishaps but not a lot since there weren't many of either of those.
  1. Moroes
  2. Opera (Big Bad Wolf)
  3. Curator
  4. Chess
  5. Aran
  6. Nightbane
  7. Netherspite
  8. Illhoof
  9. Prince

Now, fine, some of you guys out there may read this and say "It took you that long, pfft" but to me this was a revelation. The skill, co-ordination and sheer attitude of these speed raiders was just fantastic to experience.

Everybody knew their job and just did it. If we got an unlucky death, somebody else knew what job needed doing and just did it.

No master looter or loot discussions. If you needed it you chose need and you were trusted to know what was a need for you and what wasn't.

No long pauses for buffs and drinking. We buffed on the run and we went into most fights at less than full mana and we still kicked serious butt.

I could get pissy that nothing on my need list dropped but that would be silly. The pleasure of experiencing a raid like this is worth more than any purple. Besides, I did actually get enough rep to upgrade my Violet Signet and enough badges to buy Wristguards of Tranquil Thought so I have no complaints.

No comments: